Keto grits is a guilt-free way to enjoy southern cooking. This is the perfect base for cajun shrimp or even a basic tomato sauce if you want a simple and basic meal that all members of the family will enjoy.
The Riced Cauliflower
Getting the cauliflower to the correct consistency when ricing is the most important part of this dish. I used the medium-fine section of a cheese grater to get a fine rice on a head of cauliflower.
You want to get a fine rice on the cauliflower so that it comes to the consistency of grits. If you rice the cauliflower too fine, you will end up with mashed cauliflower. If it’s riced too thick, it will be too grainy and you will end up with cauliflower rice.
Play around with your cheese grater to the the consistency of riced cauliflower that you’re looking for.
Ingredients for Keto Grits
This recipe is cauliflower-based making it perfect for your keto and gluten-free diet.
- Cauliflower: Take a full head of cauliflower and finely rice it to copy the texture of grits.
- Cheddar Cheese: Freshly-shredded 6 oz. of cheddar cheese will be needed for this dish. Remember to freshly shred it yourself, as a bag of pre-shredded has an added starch agent on it that will prevent the cheese from melting nicely.
- Milk: Adding milk to the grits will make them creamy.
- Butter: Adding butter will make the grits incredibly creamy and decadent.
- Salt & Pepper: This will bring out the flavor of all the ingredients. Salt will further mask the flavor of the cauliflower.
How to Make Cauliflower Grits
After ricing your head of cauliflower, put in a pot over medium heat with your milk, butter and salt and pepper. I used about half a teaspoon or salt and freshly-cracked pepper, but I recommend salting and peppering to taste.
Heat the riced cauliflower, butter, milk, salt and pepper over medium heat and cover the pot for about 7 minutes, stir every couple of minutes to keep the milk from curdling. Taste the grits for done-ness. Add more seasoning if desired.
Once the grits are cooked, take the pot off the heat and add in the cheese. Stir it in and the cheddar will melt into the cauliflower with the residual heat.
Garnish with more cheese and serve with salt and pepper on the side.
How to Reheat Keto Grits
Reheating grits is quite simple and easy. If you have leftovers, simply store in an airtight container and put into the fridge. When ready to reheat, you can either use the microwave or the stove.
- Microwave: Place in a microwave safe bowl and add a little bit more milk so that the grits won’t be dry. Microwave for thirty seconds and then stir. Microwave for another minute and then stir.
- Stovetop: Empty the container into a saucepan. Reheat over medium, stirring ever couple of minutes. Add a bit more milk if the grits look dry. Serve while they are hot.
Making “Regular” Grits
If you want to make grits with regular corn flour for a treat, or you need a break from your keto diet, you can still use this recipe. Just replace the cauliflower with polenta. Boil the polenta with broth or water until tender and then stir in the cream, butter and cheese.
Taste your grits and season with salt, pepper, more cheese and butter if desired.
More Keto Recipes
Looking for more keto recipes?
Did you make this dish? How did it turn out? Tell me below in the comments.