Learning how to make your own Cajun seasoning is easy and a great way to have stored seasoning ready to go in your cupboard! This seasoning blend can be used to infuse flavor into many different dishes! Add it to your Cajun Matzo Ball Soup or even try it on a humble Air Fryer Baked Potato!
These ingredients are probably sitting at the back of your pantry. If they are not, they’re easily accessible (and cheap!) from your local grocery store.
- Smoked Paprika: 3 tablespoons. You can also use regular paprika but smoked paprika will add a depth of flavor.
- Cayenne Pepper: 2 tablespoons. Add cayenne pepper to your seasoning for a kick. Add more than the recommended 1 tablespoon if you’d like to make your seasoning more spicy.
- Onion Powder: 1 tablespoons. Onion powder is a staple in Creole and Cajun cuisine.
- Garlic Powder: 2 tablespoons. Add in some savory-sweetness by adding garlic powder to the mix.
- Dried Thyme: 1 tablespoon. Thyme will add earthiness and sweetness to the blend.
- Dried Parsley: 1 tablespoon. Parsley will round out the flavors of your seasoning.
When all else fails and you’re looking for something quick to pick up from Safeway, look for the Slap Ya Mama cajun seasoning. There are two versions of it – the Original Blend and the Hot Blend. The Hot Blend will be quite a bit spicier and the Original. You can also choose to mix the two together!
Remember, this seasoning already has salt in it, so taste before adding more seasoning or salt to your food.
How to Use Homemade Cajun Seasoning
There are many different ways to use your homemade Cajun seasoning. Add it in place of a store-bought seasoning, or you can add Cajun spice to standard dishes to jazz it up a bit.
Turn your Homemade Ranch Dressing into Cajun Ranch