Learning how to chop romaine lettuce is a kitchen basic. If you are looking for how to cut romaine quickly, this is how to do it! The key is to remember to make everything for a good salad bite sized, so that it is easy to eat your freshly prepared salad. At first glance, a head of romaine may look daunting, but it is quite easy, especially after the first cut is made.
How to Chop Romaine Lettuce
- Take our your head of romaine and place it on a cutting board.
- Take a sharp knife and cut through the middle of the head of romaine.
- With your sharp knife, cut out the tough stem of the lettuce.
- Add the lettuce to a colander so that it can be washed. You can also wash the lettuce as a whole head, but it is easier when it is cut into spears. If you want to serve your salad, such as a Caesar salad, it is often served with just the spears of romaine.
- After it is washed, trim off any other hard parts of romaine and then slice the romaine into 1 inch bite-sized pieces.
Take our your head of romaine and place it on a cutting board. Slice through the middle of the head to split it in half.
Make an angled cut to take out the tough stem. Then wash the spears in a colander.
Chop the romaine spears. Or take the spears and serve them as a whole pieces of lettuce. This makes for a beautiful presentation for a group, but if you’re feeding a large group, cutting the lettuce into 1-inch pieces will be easier to eat and serve.