Make your own Healthy Honey Nut Granola instead of buying it prepackaged at the store. With simple, whole ingredients you can make fresh granola in minutes.
- Oats: Use your favorite kind of hearty oats. I used a mixture of rolled oats and seeds to add fatty acids to the mix.
- Nuts: Use nuts of your choice. Typically, almonds, walnuts and cashews will work the best in this mix.
- Honey: Adding a natural sweetener such as honey or even make your own vegan honey for this recipe.
- Oil: Adding a touch of a neutral cooking oil will help the mixture come together.
- Vanilla: Adding vanilla extract tot he mix will bring all the flavors together. Vanilla extract is one of my favorite ways to brighten a sweet recipe.
- Cinnamon: Spice will also warm up your homemade granola. Add in powdered cinnamon and mix well before adding the honey mixture to your nuts and oats.
How to Make Healthy Honey Nut Granola with Vanilla
Making this granola is as easy as adding all the ingredients together and then baking it!
First, add your oil, honey, brown sugar, cinnamon, salt and vanilla to a medium-sized stock pot and heat until all ingredients are combined.
Next, add in your oats and then add your nuts to the hot honey mixture. Adding the ingredients together when they are hot will allow each nut and oat to be equally coated.
Preheat your oven to 300° F and spread a piece of parchment paper on a baking sheet. Spray the paper with a cooking spray so the granola will be easy to remove once baked. Then, pour your hot granola onto the parchment paper and bake for 25-30 minutes. You will know it’s done when it is golden brown.
Allow your freshly made granola to cool for about 40 minutes, as it will be hot to the touch right out of the oven.
Once the granola has cooled, break it up into pieces. Some folks like having big chunky pieces of granola, while others prefer more crumbly granola.
Once the granola is cooled and crumbled, store it in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
How to Eat your Granola
There are a multitude of ways for you to eat your honey nut granola.
My favorite way to eat my freshly-made granola is to top off my vanilla greek yogurt. It makes a high-protein breakfast or snack.
Pack your granola in a container and bring it along as a snack on a hike or on a road trip.
And of course, you can always eat the granola right out of the container!
Frequently Asked Questions about Granola
What should I add to my granola?
You can add any kind of topping to your granola. Oftentimes, folks will add coconut strips, dried fruit or a variety of nuts and seeds to the granola. If you do choose to add in fruit or anything that’s more delicate, mix it in last.
How long should I bake my granola?
Yes! It’s best to bake your granola so that it comes out crispy and crunchy. It’s best to bake the granola on a lower temperature (around 300° or even 275°F) You’ll know it’s finished baking when it’s golden brown and crispy – about 25 minutes.
What kind of sweetener should I use for my granola?
Use your favorite kind of sweetener for this recipe! I like using a mixture of vegan honey and brown sugar. This combination not only easily melts together, but it also will evenly coat the oats and nuts.
How should I crumble my granola?
There are two ways to crumble your granola once it is cooled out of the oven. You can either break it with your hands to make even sizes. Another way to break up your granola is to put a layer of plastic wrap over it and then smash the granola with a hammer.