Best Potatoes for Crispy Potato Skins
Russet potatoes make the best potatoes for crispy potato skins. They are a good medium-sized potato with generous stuffing and a tough outer skin. Other potatoes such as the Yukon gold or red potatoes will work in a pinch for this recipe, but their skins are not as tough and will easily rip when prepared for potato skins.
If you do plan to use a potato other than a Russet potato, make sure to leave ample room when scooping, since other potatoes have skin that will easily rip.
How to Prepare Potatoes for Potato Skins
When preparing your potatoes, make sure to start with freshly baked potatoes. After allowing the baked potatoes to cool enough to handle, cut them in half and scoop out the insides, leaving a shell between a half and a quarter-inch thick. Brush the shells with melted butter and bake in the oven at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.
Baking the shells with butter on them will crisp them up and give you a great base for your crispy potato skin. Some recipes call for frying the potato skin before adding toppings. While this will give you a skin like a TGIF potato skin, this method is not only healthier but is also easier. The thinner you are able to scoop the potato and more butter or oil is added the crispier the skins will be.
Best Toppings for Potato Skins
There are many different options when deciding what kind of topping to add to your potato skins.
- Cheddar cheese: Few things are better than super melty cheese on a potato skin. When you have your crispy skins, add shredded cheese to the middle and put them back into the warm oven for a couple of minutes. You can even set your oven to broil to get that cheese to brown and bubble on the tops. Yum!
- Green onion: A fresh pop of green and a bright onion-y flavor is delish on these potato skins.
- Chives: A pairing known well is chives and potatoes. Add instead of, or with, green onion.
- Sour cream: Who doesn’t love sour cream on a potato? Add on the side as a dipping sauce, or make this dill sour cream sauce for your potato skins.
- Bacon: Bacon adds a saltiness and more richness to your potato skins. To make your skins even more decadent, make candied bacon to add to your potato skins.