Make these Crispy Italian Roasted Chickpeas as a healthy snack or as an addition to a salad. Nut, soy, gluten and dairy-free, this recipe will aid in weight loss and digestion.
Ingredients for Roasted Chickpeas
- Chickpeas: Use canned or dry chickpeas. Save the liquid for aquafaba recipes!
- Olive oil: A bit of olive oil will help adhere the spices to the chickpeas.
- Spices and seasoning: Add in your favorite Italian spices for these beans – Parsley, Oregano, Thyme, onion and garlic powder. Add salt and pepper to taste.
How to Make Crispy Italian Roasted Chickpeas
This is a super easy protein-packed (and very affordable!) recipe to make that the whole family will enjoy. Use these roasted chickpeas as an ingredient in another recipe, or eat them for a snack.
First, set your oven to 375° F so it will be ready once you are finished preparing the beans.
Drain the beans and rinse well. Add in the spices and oil and toss the garbanzo beans so they are evenly coated. Taste one and see if it needs more seasoning or more salt and pepper.
Bake the beans in the oven for about 45 minutes, or until they look crispy. Give the chickpeas a good toss about every 10 minutes to ensure the beans are evenly browned.
If you prefer your beans a bit more crisp, leave them in the oven for an additional 15 minutes.
Air Fryer Chickpeas
Another way to make these beans crispy is to use your hand air fryer!
Prepare your chickpeas the same way as if you were to bake them in the oven. Then, set your air fryer to 300° F and fry the beans for about half an hour. Make sure to give them a good shake at least once so the beans are evenly browned.
Air fryer will take less time than a traditional oven, so make sure you keep an eye on the chickpeas, as they may burn more quickly in the air fryer.
Healthline.com outlines the benefits of eating chickpeas. Some of the main takeaways are as follows:
- Chickpeas are dense in nutrients. Packed full of fiber and protein, not to mention vitamins and minerals, this reason alone should be enough to sell you on eating this bean. You can expect about 15g of protein and 13g of fiber per cup. The fiber in this food will not only keep you full during a busy work day, but it will also aid in digestion.
- With inflation rising prices at the grocery store, it’s great to have a few go-to staples that are filling and affordable. Not only are they ulta-affordable (I find them for less than a dollar at the store) but they are also super easy to add to any meal. If you don’t have time to roast them, add them to your dish plain.
Recipes You Can Add Crispy Chickpeas:
While these Crispy Italian-Roasted Chickpeas are great to snack on, you might be looking for a way to pump up other recipes.
Add these crispy beans to a Ceasar salad in the place of croutons.
Create more variety by tossing the beans with air fryer tofu nuggets – add more protein and still keep the dish vegan!
Mash the beans and add them to your Egg Salad or your Egg Salad sandwich. This will not only add more nutrients, but it will also stretch your egg salad!
Still looking for more recipes? Check some out below: